Friday, August 22, 2008

role reversal

my grandpa was in the hospital for the second time this year and just came home yesterday.  my mom has been helping my grandma out for the past week or so during all of this.  today, we went up to visit and bring a few things up to everyone.

i watched as my mom parents her parents.  i cut my grandpa's hair, as he can't get out to go to the barber anymore.  i saw my mom meet with the home health folks and organize prescriptions and help my grandpa make it to the bathroom.  i'm watching the child become the parent and the parent becoming more like the child.

it is a very natural thing, but not an easy thing to watch or transition through.  i admire my mom incredibly as she is learning her new role and the love that she is showing through her care.  i hope i can care for her and my dad like that when the day comes.

No comments: