Monday, September 10, 2007

appreciating the complexly simple

life has been stressful the past year or so. in the middle of all the craziness, God has been impressing some things in my life. it has not been about all the difficulties or challenges or trials. God has been reminding me how beautiful He made the world, how He made it for us to enjoy, how He speaks everyday with shouts--we just miss them so often because we aren't looking for them.

this past summer, my family took a trip to the yellowstone area. mountains always scream of God's power and wonder to me, yet so many of the moments I saw of God's power this trip were in small things. flowers blooming through a snowbank in july. rocks placed in just the right place so we can step out into a cool mountain lake. the smooth blue surface of a vast lake. intricate details in a huge picture.

we saw amazing sights, yet the most beautiful moments were the simple ones. those beautiful moments on a vacation reminded me how those beautiful moments are all around...i so often overlook them because i'm pulled back, looking at and worrrying about a bigger picture.

i'm learning how God has beauty surrounding each one of us and He wants us to enjoy and savor it all. it may not be mountain vistas or sparkling waterfalls. it may be wide open spaces, watching bees and butterflies around a flower blossom, following shadows as the sun sets.

i'm learning to keep my eyes open, looking for God at work in the simple.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

And I hope you're keeping that camera in hand as well. Beautiful images.