Sunday, December 9, 2007

worlds colliding

we all have a past, we all are in our present and we all have a future. it's interesting when they all meet together.

this weekend was our church's christmas production. it's a time that's filled with activity and also has plenty of moments to enjoy--gathering with friends and performances... our production including collaborating with two other local churches--a very cool thing. one of the collaborations was a presentation of handel's messiah.

as i was playing my flute, i got to experience a coming together of things from my past and things of the present and caused me to ponder my future. one of my previous college advisors was playing his violin and helping with rehearsal details--was fun to see him again and to learn from him again. also made me think back to choices that i made in college--switching majors and colleges. made me ponder some 'what if's'. was there with folks from the church and ministry i currently serve in--and that's always a joy and privilege. was really special to see people from multiple churches come together and present something to God together. i really enjoyed it.

i wasn't expecting the event to cause me to contemplate so many things. what if i didn't change majors and stayed in music? what if i hadn't changed jobs when i did? why am i terrible at keeping up with relationships from days past when i truly do miss friends from those days? why did i feel like switching majors was the only option at that time in my life? what is God trying to teach me right now, bringing two worlds together in the same moments? how is my past helping and encouraging my present that will impact my future? what is God going to do next in my life?

i appreciate so many of the things that happened in my past...they have helped shape who i am today. i'm anxious to see how the events and things of the present are going to shape my future--He has brought so many things into my life this past year that can't be happening without a reason.

God works in mysterious ways--using ordinary events and things to grow and shape us--taking things from the past to grow us into our future.

No comments: