Tuesday, April 8, 2008

if

how many things happen in our life because we chose this over that.  if we choose this, then there is one consequence.  if we choose that, things would take a much different course.
psalm eighty-one is a reminder of that very thing.

God was reminding the nation Israel of how He has responded to them in the past.
"In your distress you called and I rescued you."  then there was a pause...

God reminded them of what He had already done for them and then looked at what they were doing.  they were ignoring both the commands He had given them and how He had responded to them faithfully in the past.  God pleaded with them and reminded them "Hear, O my people, and I will warn you--if you would but listen to me..."  "Open wide your mouth and I will fill it."  God wanted to bless and love, but they made a choice.  they chose to let foreign gods among them.  that choice led to consequences.  the last five verses of the passage, we hear God saying what He wants to do.  He wants to love and fill us with Himself.

reading this is causing me to take a step back from myself and evaluate.  where am i not listening to God speak?  what am i missing out on because i am forgetting who God is and how He wants to respond?  am i letting myself get in the way of what God wants to do in my life?  i am taking this moment to lay at Jesus' feet and ask Him to fill me, to show me His desires for my life.  i know that His way is what is best for me and i only want His best.

No comments: