Thursday, January 31, 2008

psalm 63

when i'm tired, when i'm weary, when i need some perspective, when i'm confused, when i'm overwhelmed...this is the first passage i turn to. it gives me comfort--this is the passage i was reading when i stopped and gave my life to Jesus. it is always a reminder to me of how despite all that is going on around me and in my life, God is right there--He is powerful and glorious and trustworthy and satisfying. He is there for me to cry out to. He wants me to seek Him fervently and tell Him my deepest secrets and desires. He is my safe place.

this passage spoke to me because the writer was talking about a God that he had a close, personal relationship with--not a distant god or one that didn't care about all that was going on in his life. this God was one worth getting up in the middle of the night for and crying out to. that made it real to me--to see that this God was one that would be there in the middle of my nights, not just on Sunday mornings or in moments of extreme circumstances. this God is there all the time, wanting to listen and love--i just need to go to Him.

i love this passage. God has used it so many times in my life and i can't wait to see what else He will teach through its' words.

PSALM 63
O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

They who seek my life will be destroyed;
they will go down to the depths of the earth.
They will be given over to the sword and become food for jackals.
But the king will rejoice in God;
all who swear by God's name will praise him,
while the mouths of liars will be silenced.

No comments: